Team retro of Agile Tour Zurich #atzrh19 and start the journey for 2020!
Two weeks after the tour last Nov, the three co-organizers of Agile Tour Zurich met up and did our big team retro. What an enjoyable experience! This week, we got back together again to prepare for remaining topics of 2019 and start the new chapter of 2020!
This is also why I enjoy working in this small team, because we live and breathe the values that we preach. In this blog, I’ll cover first what emerged from our retro, then starting the new chapter of 2020.
Team Retro #atzrh19
Three main topics emerged from our retro: the reflections on the day of the Tour, the reflections of our journey leading up to the day and all topics to close the loop for participants.
We got supportive and encouraging feedback from the day and afterwards on LinkedIn. We also recognized that we made right decisions for the core aspects. At one point we were asking this question:
what are the core elements that make a great event vs. a mediocre one or a disaster? Looking at all the decisions retrospectively, several aspects emerged.
- The program. We had the honour to receive 89 submissions for talks and workshops. And we had some amazing sessions on the day.
- Customer experience. During the preparation, we made an effort to test customer experience and partners experience. When we used our own empathy to learn about their journeys, we found some most important connections.
- The flow of the day. This is linked to customer experience. We asked ourselves what do I want in such an event if I were a participant? Then we were able to design the flow accordingly, the breaks in between sessions come from our desire to give people mental space so that they can be mindful to close up one topic and start another. Another important element was to consider the maturity of the Agile experience from different participants. There were 109 people and collectively we had a wide range of Agile experiences. This we’ll for sure take into consideration for the next event.
We used the sailing boat analogy to reflect on our journey. This is a beautiful process where it became so clear that what bound the three of us so closely are the core values that we all share, the trusting and open space that we created. Of course there were tensions because we have different opinions, what we always do is to apply nonviolent communication to our team sync meetings. We were 3 people from 3 different companies working remotely in our spare time. The only way we could manage is through efficient and effective agile work frame and applying NVC.
What also stood out for us for future editions is about diversity of people and skills. Among the three of us, we have different background and skillsets, I personally learnt a lot from the team and how we collaborated so efficiently and effectively. For future editions, we’d love to invite committed Agilists with diverse personalities, backgrounds and skillsets to join us. I’d love to see our collective wisdom and practice come to impact the community.
Start the chapter of 2020
This week, the 3 of us got back together again. It turns out, after last years intense collaboration, we became friends in private life. We brought our families together to house parties, and my 4-year-old daughter discovered her cocktail making skills😊 We’re already preparing the next generation agilists!
During our team sync meeting this week, we touched upon several topics
- Closing the loop of 2019. We’ll respect the community commitment to refund partial ticket cost. There are already many ideas to find different ways to give back either monetary value or other forms of values. More details will follow.
- Refinement of the Backlog. We’re starting to work on remaining backlog items, e.g. website topics, finance topics etc.
- Starting to recruit new team members. One of the things we learnt so far is diversity of skills, and from each of us personal perspectives we enjoy interacting with similar bandwidth people, we learn and have fun along the way.
- Start to organize smaller scale meetups throughout the year. More details to follow.
In 2020 we’re starting the journey, we sincerely hope that the community spirit will live on and we continue to foster cross border collaborations! Looking forward to welcoming you to our community events throughout the year, and of course at Agile Tour Zurich 2020!